Saturday, January 4, 2020

Healthy Eating Meal Plan - Week 1: The Half Plate Challenge!

 
Healthy Eating Meal Plan Week 1: Half Plate Challenge!

Healthy Eating Meal Plan Week 1: Half Plate Challenge!

This month we’re pleased to welcome Katie Morford and her meal plan as part of our January Reset Challenge! Katie is a San Francisco-based cookbook author and registered dietitian who writes the blog Mom's Kitchen Handbook.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm like everyone else on the block and look to January to improve my eating habits. What's hard, though, is knowing what healthy eating really means (it's even confusing for me, and I'm a registered dietitian).

Nutrition research seems to flip flop on the daily, with one expert advising a high fat diet while another says vegan eating is the answer to all your dietary prayers. The truth is, not everyone will ever agree on what the "right" diet really is. And what works for you may not be exactly what works for me.

All that being said, most nutrition experts do agree on a few fundamentals:

  1. Vegetables and fruits of every color, shape, and stripe are enormously good for you and should be eaten abundantly with great variety.
  2. Choosing whole foods over heavily processed ones is where it's at.
  3. From-scratch cooking adds up to healthier eating than routinely hitting the take-out or drive-thru.

As for what to cook, I'm personally a fan of whole grains, lean protein foods, plant protein sources (tofu, beans, legumes), quality dairy (hello, kefir and yogurt), and really good non-dairy foods (I'm hooked on oat milk just like everyone else).

I mostly use olive oil for cooking, and eat lots of other healthy fats, like nuts, seeds, and avocados. I try to keep my wine in check (not always successfully) and when I reach for a sweet, I aim for good, dark chocolate. That's just me.

Along those lines, I've got a challenge for you. I call it the "Half Plate" challenge, something I started last year on Instagram. Here's the idea:

 
Simply Recipes on Pinterest Simply Recipes on Facebook Simply Recipes on Instagram Twitter Snapchat
Simply Recipes on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

30+ Fall Breakfast Ideas That Pair Perfectly With Your PSL

+Can poppy seeds really make you fail a drug test? View in Browser JOIN SHOP COOK These Salted Caramel Pear Fritters Are Proof...